Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Little League Update: Tough Loss


The Fightin' Firebirds had a tough loss last night, but they played even tougher. Their first win has still eluded them, but they still have heart.
While playing short stop, Ben made two big outs right in a row during the 2nd inning. He grabbed a hit that came up the middle and shot it over to first base for a tag. The very next kid up to the plate hit a pop-up, which Ben easily snagged.
His second trip up to the plate proved his meddle, though. With a full count, he got smacked in the back with a wild fast pitch. Fortunately, he remembered to turn away from the pitch and it caught him in the back. It dropped him though. Chris and I were behind the plate and could hear the loud "THWACK!" and he dropped. I almost became "That Mom" and headed toward the field until another mom had the foresight to stop me with a gentle, "They don't want Mom's out there. They'll take care of him." Mr. Tough stood up and took his base. Not only did he take the base, he managed to steal all the way to third, but then was left out there on a third strike.
Ben loves the game, win or lose. It's a young team and they still have a lot to learn, but they are improving every day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben, there is no shame in charging the mound in these situations. It's all about street cred.

Uncle Eric

Anonymous said...

Ben, I am so proud of you. You play for the love of the game, not just the win. You are a very talented player. Wish I could see one of your games. Love, Granny

Anonymous said...

Ben - Austin's team just had their first win last night after 3 losses and a tie (which was a night game that went until 11:00pm!). His team just started to take shape as I'm sure yours is too. Awesome play by play, and it's great to hear you are having fun with the game. I have fun just watching the games.

Dave, Amanda, and Austin.