Friday, January 25, 2008

Harry Hears Happily


Nice alliteration, huh? Harry had his third hearing test yesterday. Just a quick recap: he failed his newborn screening at the hospital in his left ear. At his follow up, he passed the left (but just barely) and failed in the right. We knew he was hearing something because he was startling to sound, but we were afraid there might be some hearing loss at high and low frequencies. For the test, we had to make sure he slept soundly though the whole process, so I spent the day keeping him awake (not an easy task) and also skipped a feeding. Once we got there I fed him and he fell fast asleep. He didn't even wake up when they hooked him up to the electrodes and earpieces. They had a big reclining chair that I sat in while holding him during the test. I must admit that Harry wasn't the only one who slept during the testing! But seriously, the test took nearly two hours!! You try to sit in a quiet, darkened room for two hours and not "rest your eyes." Anyway...that' s not the important part: Harry passed the tests in both ears with flying colors. The audiologist concluded that some newborns haven't fully developed neurologically. This will not affect him at all in the future. So, in short: "phew!"

No comments: